Friday 1 July 2011

Sooners land big offensive lineman

Posted on: June 23, 2011 1:49 pmEdited on: June 23, 2011 3:36 pmPosted by Bryan Fischer

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is putting together another top 15 recruiting class, and his 2012 edition reached the double-digit commitment mark Wednesday night as the Sooners landed a verbal pledge from Texarkana (Texas) offensive lineman John Michael McGee.

“When I went up to Oklahoma for junior day in January, it felt like my home away from home," McGee told 247Sports.com. "My parents went with me way back when I visited and they both liked it, too. Oklahoma has a nice campus, they win championships, have what I’m looking for academically and can help me accomplish my goals."

The 6-foot-4, 260-pounder also held scholarship offers from Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma State and Clemson among others. The biggest reason he'll end up a Sooner, however, was the time and effort the coaching staff made in the recruiting process.

“They were the first to offer me and have been recruiting me the longest,” McGee said. “Coach (Josh) Heupel and Coach (James) Patton have come down to watch me as much as they can, including basketball games, and have shown how much they want me.”

McGee is the 10th commitment for Oklahoma's upcoming class and the fourth from the state of Texas. McGee could play either guard or tackle in college but will likely end up on the inside next to fellow 2012 offensive line commit Ty Darlington.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment